Looking forward to 2022 and getting back into quality orienteering events, need some serious orienteering training before the Easter 2022 Nationals, as well as get over the Covid lockdown blues? Need a Kiwi-version of the Swedish O-Ringen orienteering & camping holiday?
Look no further and pencil the weekend of 19 & 20 March 2022 into your dairies. Pre-entry via EnterO - closes Thursday 17/3, strictly no entries 'on the day'.
NWOC is planning to bring you two events on adjacent maps with an idyllic camping opportunity on Saturday night.
Saturday morning 19 March - AOS-2 (Auckland Orienteering Series), four red, one orange, one yellow, and one white course on a Wilson Road map not used for twenty years, remapped by Marquita Gelderman. A beautiful area with a wide variety of terrain: mostly sand dune contour detail with mature open plantation forest, low visibility blocks, park-like areas with clearings, ponds and mixed stands of trees, and some steep and rugged slopes thrown in for good measure. Start times from 11.00 AM, in three distinct start blocks.
Then drive two kilometre along the road to the Lake Kereta map. Another beautiful area with native manuka vegetation cover on sand dune terrain, interspersed with lightning fast flat areas of grass, on the area used for the 2017 Oceania Relays and the 2021 National Relays.
Saturday night, camping at Lake Kereta with large areas of flat grass with roaming deer and turkeys in a serene location, with simple toilets and showers available. People enjoyed camping here during the 2021 Nationals.
Sunday morning 20 March - AOS-3 event with the suite of courses as above on the Lake Kereta West (extension into Woodhill Forest) map, only used previously for the 2021 Nationals Middle event. Complex sand dune contour detail with plantation forest, classical and challenging Woodhill orienteering. Start times from 10 AM in the same distinct start blocks as the previous day.
Although we'd love you to come to both events, it is of course possible to only participate in either AOS-2 or AOS-3.
This event is scheduled to take place under Covid Framework Levels, including Level Red:
- All competitors 12 years old and above will need to be fully vaccinated to attend and must present their vaccine pass for scanning at the start of each event;
- All participants & officials must QR code scan at the event;
People should not come to the event if they have any COVID symptoms, or are awaiting COVID test results or any symptoms of being unwell;
- Full entry refunds for any illness or Covid-related withdrawals;
- Dogs are not permitted at this event;
- Despite NWOC's best efforts, the events of this weekend might still be subject to cancellation at very short notice. This will be announced via the NWOC website, Facebook page and the e-mail address used for registration. In these unfortunate circumstances, a full refund will be organised.