This event is also part of the NZ Cartographic Society's 50th anniversary celebrations.
Pre-entry is requested. Look for the Te Ahumairangi (Tinakori Hill) event entry link on our entry page: https://entries.wellingtonorienteering.org.nz/
(This entry link will be open until the afternoon of Saturday 27th Feb, it may not yet be open when you read this note).
The event is open to all members of the public as well as club members. Our standard fee rates apply (see here).
- As a special for today, NZ Cartographic Society members gain access to the standard Orienteering Wellington member rates ($5 senior/$2.50 junior).
- OW Premium and Standard rates can be claimed by anybody who will joining the club this year at that level of membership.
We use the SportIdent (SI) timing system. If you do not have your own chip, we hire these as part of the entry system ($2).
Parking and Transport
Park considerately on the surrounding streets, and allow time to get to the event centre at the old Wellington Waterworks building, as parking is very limited in the immediate vicinity. There is a bit more parking on Grant Rd towards the Potters' Association, on Tinakori Rd or up in Wadestown. Even better, come by bike, bus, train and foot.
Courses and newcomers
Four courses on offer, from the very easy (white) through a beginner's course (yellow), and two progressively more difficult ones (orange, red).
We will have people on hand to show you how everything works, introduce you to orienteering maps and give you some tips to help you round.
You can arrive to start at any time from 11 am to 1 pm. We will close the courses and start collecting controls at 2 pm.
- The tracks on Te Ahumairangi can be rough, steep, slippery and uneven.
- Off track travel can be more rough, more steep, more uneven.
Bring footwear with good grip, control your speed through areas which are troubling, be especially wary of slippery areas after rain.
- There will be other users, including bikers on the tracks.
Be courteous and alert.
- At times the track network can be like a maze. If you become completely bemused, follow tracks downhill to Grant Road and take the road back round to the event centre.
Please report to the finish, even if you do not complete your course. Our timing system lets us know which competitors are missing, and we will send out searchers for anybody who is not back by 2 pm.