ONZ’s Council is the national body responsible for the governance of orienteering in New Zealand. It consists of six members that serve three-year terms. Each year two members complete their term and applications are sort from individuals wishing to become part of Council.
The role and responsibilities of the Council shall be to provide good governance to ONZ including:
• Establishing a strategic plan for ONZ
• Monitoring and reviewing the performance of ONZ against the strategic plan
• Receiving, reviewing and approving the annual business plan and financial budget
• Monitoring ONZ performance against the annual business plan and financial budget
• Approving annual financial statements
• Addressing the ongoing viability and sustainability of ONZ
• Monitoring regulatory compliance for ONZ
• Establishing, reviewing, and monitoring policies for the good governance and guidance of ONZ
• Fostering interaction and communication across the Membership and others involved in ONZ
• Appointing, monitoring and reviewing the General Manager
• Adopting and communicating a best practice performance culture and supporting programmes across ONZ nationally
• Having full insight and understanding of significant transactions across ONZ
• Being accountable to Members for its performance
The application process for 2023:
20 December 2022 – Applications Open
20 February 2023 – Applications Close
By 28 February – Applicant information forwarded to clubs*
1 March 2023 – Club voting begins*
31 March 2023 – Club voting closes*
*note that voting will only take place if there are more than two applicants for the positions.
If you feel that you are in a position to contribute to the future direction of Orienteering in New Zealand, we welcome your applications. An application form can be downloaded here.
If you have any questions about the Council application process please contact ONZ General Manager Christo Peters on firstname.lastname@example.org