NZ School Championship Grades for 2017 onwards
The following grades system for North and South Island and New Zealand Secondary School Champs was approved by the ONZ Council and endorsed by NZSSSC for implementation from 2017 onwards.
1. School championships gradings by school year, rather than athlete age:
- Junior at year 9
- Intermediate at years 10, 11
- Senior at years 12, 13
2. The course difficulty at each grade be as follows:
- At Championship grade, junior will run yellow; intermediate run orange; senior run red.
- At Standard grade, junior run white, intermediate run yellow, senior run orange.
- A Novice grade be introduced at senior, running yellow.
The novice grade will be included in the school points system, with the winner of a novice grade obtaining no more than 5 points.