ONZ is looking for a marketing, communications and promotion advisor to champion a number of targeted areas identified in our business plan. Applicants are encouraged to read the position description and to direct questions and applications to [email protected]
POSITION DESCRIPTION downloadable version
Title: ONZ MARKETING, COMMUNICATIONS, & PROMOTION ADVISOR
Reporting to: General Manager
Contract type: This role is for an independent contractor, who will be responsible for their own tax, ACC, holiday, and sick pay. The reason for this being an independent contractor is because it is a minor part time role, with significant flexibility, and for a limited duration. We see this being suited to someone who is already employed or contracted in other work, where this would be a minor part time role to complement other main income.
Term and hours: 6 Months initial contract period, with potential to extend if both parties agree. We expect the role to be contracted for approximately 4hrs week, with scope to increase hours up to 8hrs per week if required to meet agreed work demands.
Remuneration: Between $25 and $28 per hour.
Our vision for Orienteering in New Zealand is “To enrich lives through the fun, adventure, challenge, achievement, and community that orienteering provides”. Whilst arguably still a niche sport, Orienteering has continued to grow over many years, increasingly being seen as a great sport for people of all ages and abilities to participate in and enjoy. Whilst we have enjoyed incremental growth and recognition amongst the public of NZ, we see an opportunity to put a stronger focus on promoting and marketing the sport better, so that this growth can be enhanced going forwards. We also recognise that Orienteering New Zealand can do more to communicate with members, ensuring they are properly informed about things from a national perspective. The Marketing, Communications, and Promotion Advisor is intended to assist with this and focus on opportunities to lift our profile further, and support member engagement and communications.
Key competencies/personal qualities:
The position is suited to someone with experience in communications and/or marketing and promotion, that has a good understanding of the sport of orienteering as well as similar sports e.g. adventure racing, rogaine… To achieve the expected outcomes, we envisage the successful candidate would have the following qualities:
- Clear and effective communication
- Skills and experience in marketing, promotion, and/or communications
- Ability work collaboratively with key ONZ staff, the GM, and Council to achieve outcomes
- Good networker and linker (links people to information and resources)
- IT/Digital savvy – comfortable with modern IT systems, platforms, apps, able to navigate the digital environment and maximize the benefit digital tools can provide.
- Ability to set and meet deadlines and remain task focused
- A passion to make a difference to the sport
Key expected outcomes:
- Identify opportunities where ONZ could better market and promote the sport of orienteering on a national level, and work with the GM and Council on developing plans/strategies for exploiting these.
- Enhance and improve current methods used for communications and promotion to members and clubs, including website and newsletters.
- Support the GM with monthly club and member newsletter collation and delivery.
- Develop guidelines for promotion around national events, including brand collateral, PR advice, social and web media and support host clubs with marketing/promotion activity for national events.
- Identify growth opportunities in promising segments of the sport – eg trail runners, adventure racers, returning orienteers with young families, retirees, and develop marketing and promotion plans that could exploit these.
- Raise the profile about what ONZ does, so clubs feel informed and trust and transparency is maintained with the membership.
- Look for ways to get greater insights from orienteering participants, that could help shape how the sport develops and evolves in the future.
We recognise that a part time role will not be able to address all of these areas at once, so envisage working with the right person to identify and agree the high priority areas to focus on first. Whilst having a strategic or big picture view might be useful, we see the role as having a strong tactical and operational focus; getting some things in place that give us quick wins and improvements.
Need more information?
Email or call Christo Peters, General Manager on 027 714 0915 or [email protected]
How do I apply?We would welcome hearing from people who have an interest and passion in this area, who knows orienteering, and who has some great ideas on how we could do things better in terms of promoting, marketing, and communicating the sport. If you are interested get in touch, and/or send your CV and a brief covering letter to [email protected]
Applications close 15 November 2021.