7 December 2015
The Junior World Orienteering Championships for 2016 will be held in Engadin, Scoul, Switzerland 9-15 July 2016.
The 2016 JWOC Team will be based on the following selection events:
Primary Selection event – Hawkes Bay event in 5-6 March 2016
Supplimentary Selection event – 2016 Orienteering NZ National Championships
Overseas-based athletes who are unable to return to New Zealand for the trial events will be judged on their Known Form.
[as per the Orienteering Policy G1 – Selection Policy approved December 2014].
- The following selection criteria shall be applied by the respective Selection Panel when selecting a team.
- The objective of selection is to select a team which is likely to produce the most successful results at the competition for which athletes are being selected.
- Selection shall be either by performance in nominated selection trials or selection events when trials are deemed necessary, or Known Form (as defined in clause 3.5) if no trial is required.
- Where selection is based on a trial and the trial course or event is invalidated, selection may be based on Known Form.
- Known Form will include the athlete’s recent performances in high standard events in New Zealand and/or overseas; previous performance in New Zealand representative teams; and likely performance in the anticipated competition terrains.
All orienteers interested in selection for the 2016 JWOC team shall notify their interest, year of birth, and cell phone number to the Convenor of Selectors Al Cory-Wright (email@example.com) by 1 February 2016.
Note that from 2016 Orienteering New Zealand has set a standard Athlete Contribution fee for teams selected for major events.
JWOC 2016 this fee will be NZ$1700
The fee includes team competition costs such as accommodation and travel during the JWOC competition; Team Staff travel, accommodation and accreditation costs; training maps, etc. It does not include international airfares to/from New Zealand or elsewhere to the competition or pre-JWOC training camp costs.
Payment of the Athlete Contribution Fee must be made no later than 20 June 2016.