The Junior World Orienteering Championships (JWOC) 2024 will be held in Pilsen, Czechia from 30 June – 7 July 2024. JWOC will consist of individual sprint, middle, and long distance races, a sprint relay and a forest relay.
As per the Orienteering NZ G1 Selection Policy the 2024 JWOC team will be selected primarily on the basis of the following races
- the Oceania sprint relay – 29 January, New Plymouth and Oceania sprint – 3 February, Auckland
- middle distance and long distance trials – 16/17 March, Auckland
- sprint distance, middle distance and long distance – 29-31 March, Bay of Plenty (ONZ Champs)
Previous performance at JWOC and/or comparable events may also be taken into account. Overseas based athletes should discuss with the Convenor of Selectors suitable events which may be taken into account to assess their performance.
To facilitate early travel bookings it is anticipated that at least a partial team will be named before the end of March.
All athletes interested in selection for the 2024 JWOC team shall notify their interest, year of birth, and cell phone number to the Convenor of Selectors Al Cory-Wright (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 20 January 2024 at the latest.
All interested athletes will be named as part of a JWOC2024 Training Squad. ONZ will appoint an interim coach for this squad to advise and help athletes in their preparation for trials and, ultimately, JWOC.
Athletes will be expected to:
- have a structured training plan in place and to work with their individual coach/mentor and the squad coach to follow this
- demonstrate the technical ability and level of fitness required to finish in at least the top 50% of the field in at least one of the three individual races.