Content for this section is still being developed.
Orienteering for Schools Manual
- Kiwi-O Manual 2014 (PDF 1.13MB) – Orienteering for Schools. For a minimum preparation, minimum equipment, minimum cost orienteering programme in primary and intermediate schools. (Note: A5 page size)
Understanding the Map Resources
- International Specification for Orienteering Maps (IOF ISOM 2017-2) (PDF 8MB)
Orienteering is a worldwide sport. A common approach to the interpretation and drawing of orienteering maps is essential for fair competition and for the future growth of the sport. It is the aim of the International Specification for Orienteering Maps (ISOM) to provide a map specification which can accomodate the many different types of terrain around the world and the many ways of doing orienteering.
- ISOM 2017 Orienteering Map Symbols – Single Page Summary (PDF)
Sprint Orienteering Maps
Other Orienteering Maps
- International Specification for Mountain Bike (MTB) Orienteering Maps (IOF PDF)
- International Symbol Set for School Orienteering Maps 2019 (IOF PDF)
Control Descriptions Reference
Orienteering is a worldwide sport. It is the aim of the IOF control description symbols to provide a stable means for orienteers from all countries to be able to understand control descriptions without ambiguity or the need for language translation. This booklet shows how the symbols can be used to do this.
- Control Aide android app is made for both emerging orienteers and long time veterans with the intention to make reading control descriptions like second nature. It aims to achieve this through repetition but also has a useful index to look up and learn any orienteering symbol.
Control Aide on Google Play
School Abbreviation List
Here is a list of abbreviation codes for school if you wish to include these in our timing systems
- Leaflet – IOF WOD Let’s GO Orienteering (PDF 2MB)
- Youth Orienteering youth.orienteering.org (International Orienteering Federation)
- O in a Box (Schools coaching resource) – (South African Orienteering Federation)
- “Cool, Awesome and Educational” – Online Resource for School Orienteering Ages 6-12(Sweden)
- The Better Orienteering website https://betterorienteering.org/ – a collaboration by orienteers across the UK and includes a series of videos featuring members of the UK team demonstrating navigation techniques. It’s free to use and simply aims to help people start orienteering and get better at orienteering.
- Orienteering Australia – Getting Started Videos
Orienteering for beginners – by Alexander Lines (aged 11) – a short introduction to orienteering.
10 Elements of Orienteering – videos from Irish Orienteering Association.
ONZ News tagged with 'Schools'
- Successful 2020 National Orienteering Champs
- Leg by Leg #7: NISS Sprint
- Navigation training in Taranaki for teens
- School orienteering training in Hawkes Bay
- Leg by Leg #3: Canterbury School Long Champs
- Leg by Leg #2: Canterbury Schools Sprint Champs
- Local Focus: Kids loving cunning running (Video – NZ Herald)
- Orienteering Event to Raise Funds for Geraldine High School (Stuff)
- Clued-up kids get orienteering course back on track (Stuff Marlborough-Express)
- Waiuku College leading the way in orienteering (Stuff – Franklin County News)
- JWOC experience
- My view of the 2021 MTBO Champs: Still learning nav at bottom end of the results
- Invitation to take part in the Australian Champs
- Stuff Article – Faavae leads Nelson Orienteering Clubs winning run at nationals
- Wellington to host 2021 Junior Camp
- MTB Orienteering Champs 2021
- Good sport, and medical practise, with Doctor Tom
- Leg by Leg #16: Brook Heights Urban O and BBQ
- Talk with Christo Peters | ONZ General Manager
- ONZ Under 23 High-Performance Camp | 6-11 December 2020