The Junior World Orienteering Championships 2018 will be held in Kecskemet, Hungary from 8-15 July 2018.
As per the Orienteering NZ G1 Selection Policy and in particular the 2018 JWOC team will be selected on the basis of known form and the results of two selection trials.
Known form will include results from:
- the 2017 Orienteering New Zealand Championships;
- previous performances at JWOC and other comparable international events.
The following selection trials will be held:
- ONZ National Championships, Auckland 30 March-1 April 2018;
- Canterbury, 5-6 May 2018
The initial team may be named after the first selection trial. Selected althetes will not be required to attend subsequent trials but are strongly encouraged to do so.
The team will be selected based on the following criteria:
- athletes who are judged by the selectors to have the technical ability and level of fitness to finish in at least the top 50% of the field in at least one of the three individual races;
- that by 31 January 2018 athletes have a structured training plan in place, and work with a suitable coach/mentor to follow this.
All orienteers interested in selection for the 2018 JWOC team shall notify their interest, year of birth, and cell phone number to the Convenor of Selectors Al Cory-Wright (email@example.com) by 1 February 2018.
For JWOC 2018 the Athlete Contribution fee will be NZ$1700 and includes team competition costs such as accommodation and travel during the JWOC competition and pre-JWOC camp; Team Staff travel, accommodation and accreditation costs; training maps, etc.
Payment of the Athlete Contribution Fee deposit must be made no later than 1 June 2018.